According to this site i just speeded up my firefox by disabling IPv6. It has a recognizeable effect, but i’m still a littlebit disappointed with the slow (gtk?) opening of new tabs and windows… A 2×2,9 ghz intel dualcore 4gb should do better…
I just updated ubuntu from hardy heron to intrepid ipex. I experienced a loss of all torrents of transmission because of its update from 1.06 to 1.34. To finish active torrents
- Remove the current transmission (but NOT “completely”) (Synaptic)
- Uncheck all repositories (Synaptic)
- Download the following hardy version from http://packages.ubuntu.com
- Install them (they will complain about the wrong order)
- Lock the version (Synaptic)
- Check all previous repositories
When you completed all active downloads just unlock transmission with synaptics and update.
I found a tiny little usefull backup tool called rdiff-backup. Unfortunately it has no gui, but it just works 🙂 I also tried flyback, but this tool copied everything instead of linking it (like it should do), which was pretty nasty when a high amount of files is copied.